It was a thought that crept up on me slowly, but which was hard to ignore once it had settled in my brain: where and when had I seen my passport last? While I was emptying out my room last Monday, pretty much all my earthly posessions had ran through my hands - but I couldn't remember having witnessed the sight of my passport. I did remember, however, having seen photocopies of my passport. I had been photocopying my passport last Thirsday. The memory of me standing at the photocopymachine came clearly before my eye. Unfortunately, the memory of me getting my passport out of the machine again was non-existent.
I got my passport back through dear friend Rianne, who was kind enough to go look for it at the university, ánd bringing it to the Hague. That was Tuesday night, one and a half day before my flight was scheduled. I must say that the thought of leaving the Netherlands (and all my friends and family, my room, my cds and clothes and so on) for a few months is quite hard sometimes. Without a passport, however, it would have been impossible.
Nevertheless, this morning, I had packed my stuff, ticked off all the boxes on my to-do-list, had said goodbye to everyone at least once (and to some people five times) and was ready to go. My mother and I did some final shopping at the supermarket and walked home. While I was enjoying the coolness of summer in the Netherlands one last time, my father came cycling up to us. 'Don't panic', he said, and I didn't, because I thought he was addressing my mother. 'Your flight has been cancelled'.
A phonecall with the airline employee, who spoke English with a difficult accent, was somewhat reassuring. I will fly from Amsterdam tonight and should still be able to arrive in Ouagadougou on time. Unfortunately, my transfer time has been reduced to nine minutes. The next plane should wait for me, I was told (or so I think). Let's hope for the best.
On the bright side: this gave me some time to write my first blog! Welcome, please visit again and I hope you will enjoy reading this blog the upcoming months!
I got my passport back through dear friend Rianne, who was kind enough to go look for it at the university, ánd bringing it to the Hague. That was Tuesday night, one and a half day before my flight was scheduled. I must say that the thought of leaving the Netherlands (and all my friends and family, my room, my cds and clothes and so on) for a few months is quite hard sometimes. Without a passport, however, it would have been impossible.
Nevertheless, this morning, I had packed my stuff, ticked off all the boxes on my to-do-list, had said goodbye to everyone at least once (and to some people five times) and was ready to go. My mother and I did some final shopping at the supermarket and walked home. While I was enjoying the coolness of summer in the Netherlands one last time, my father came cycling up to us. 'Don't panic', he said, and I didn't, because I thought he was addressing my mother. 'Your flight has been cancelled'.
A phonecall with the airline employee, who spoke English with a difficult accent, was somewhat reassuring. I will fly from Amsterdam tonight and should still be able to arrive in Ouagadougou on time. Unfortunately, my transfer time has been reduced to nine minutes. The next plane should wait for me, I was told (or so I think). Let's hope for the best.
On the bright side: this gave me some time to write my first blog! Welcome, please visit again and I hope you will enjoy reading this blog the upcoming months!
Gefeliciteerd met je eerste blogje, maar het is alweer tijd om de nieuwe ontwikkelingen te bloggen!
BeantwoordenVerwijderenwe zijn natuurlijk allemaal benieuwd hoe je reis is gegaan en ook naar je aankomst! -x- Tineke
BeantwoordenVerwijderen