dinsdag 27 juli 2010

The sad side of human life

Shopping, drinking beer and a boat ride. It's three things that contribute considerably to my happiness in life, and three things I did within 24 hours after arriving in Bamako, the capital city of Mali.

The day of traveling and the hussle at the airport had tired me, but as soon as I breathed in the humid air of the African night, I was bright awake again. I have come to Mali, together with another guy, in order to work on a project to enhance youth participation in Mali. The Malian counterpart of the Dutch organisation that has sent us here had sent their vice-director to pick us up at the airport. I like this Soumano guy a lot: he can't stop talking about politics and development aid issues. I suffer from the same disease. Anyhow, when Soumano suggested we would go out and drink a beer, I readily agreed. I felt perfectly happy while drinking my Beaufort beer, watching people dance the salsa and chatting to Soumano. Afterwards, I went to bed feeling excited, despite having been awake for 22 hours.

Next day, we spent walking around town. On Sundays, a lot of marriages take place, especially when the month of Ramadan approaches. After a marriage ceremony, the guests will drive through the city in procession, honking and shouting. They are a noisy, but happy bunch.

In the Village Artisinale , I couldn't resist the temptation of buying a pair of handmade leather sandals. Yes, I know, I had already taken six pairs of shoes with me to Mali, which some might think a little much. However, I originally planned to bring eight, so I think it's only right that I've bought myself an extra pair. Hey, I'm just a strong believer in backpacking in style.

After having been pushed and pulled around, questioned about my motives for traveling and my marital status, and being asked for money many times, as is normal when walking the streets of the inner city, the peace and quietness of the river was well deserved. We went on a boat trip on the Niger, the river that runs through Bamako. It was lovely, seeing fishermen throwing out their nets with great skill.

Next day, we went even more into the heart of Bamako, finding crowded, dirty, muddy streets. I know I shouldn't compare Africa to European standards, and I don't like people who only focus on the sad side of Africa, but man, life ain't easy around herefor some people.

Luckily, there are always the expat hang-outs, where daily reality can be blocked out completely. Apaloosa is one of those places. It's a Texan restaurant, run by a Libyan guy, and with Ukrainian girls behind the bar. I suspect the girls to offer all sorts of pleasures for those who are willing to pay for it. Speaking of the sad side of human life.

1 opmerking:

  1. Super veel plezier daar (en inderdaad heel sad dat oost europese vrouwen die extra taken wederom vervullen...)
    ka

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen